Monday, July 21, 2014

MY SINGLE DUMBEST/SMARTEST CAREER MOVE

in 2005, After a lifetime a passionate enthusiasm, I began my professional photography career.  I was encouraged by a friend who was a veteran pro himself. 

I began as a digital tech, possibly the first one in the business. Pro digital cameras were still an emerging technology & given that I was an technology consultant at places like Universal Pictures and The Walt Disney Company, I was suited to learn the workflow.  

The deal I made with my friend was, I would work on set with him & run the cameras & the computers and in the process, learn to navigate the waters of commercial celebrity & fashion photography as well as studio lighting. 

About 6 months into the job, one of the executives from Smashbox Cosmetics whom I had worked with on set numerous times, pulled me aside & asked if I was capable of doing similar types of images we had been doing with my friend at the helm. 

I said yes & she asked if I’d be willing to put together a creative brief for a baby brand called Too Faced Cosmetics. I was familiar with them to the extent that they had always used cutesy illustration & never photography. She admitted that she was overseeing change & looking to grow the brand up a bit.  I accepted the challenge & put together my brief.  

Now mind you, beauty was nothing I ever set out to do. It was something my friend did, but wasn’t particularly interesting to me. I wanted comedy, color, irony. Big fun stories.  That said, you take what you can get & I didn’t even have a portfolio to speak of at the time. 

The bones of the brief was playing off the name "Too Faced" 2 faced. 2 models. One good girl. One bad girl. Yin/Yang. One blonde. One brunette. More or less like every James Bond film.   

I asked for 2 casting days. 

Casting day 1 was blondes.  I saw approximately 225 models that day. When Lyndall Jarvis walked through the door, I knew she was my girl. Icy blonde, exotic, sapphire eyes, bee stung lips, South African & with an inaccessible & intimidating presence.  

Day 2 was brunettes. Again I saw maybe 200 brunettes & didn’t really remember a single one. I just wasn’t feeling anyone. I needed another casting day.  

Me: (To client) I didn’t find our girl. I need another casting day. 

Client: You saw 200 models in L.A. and you can’t find a single brunette that will work for our brand?

Me: Nope.  This is important stuff. One more day. Please?

Client: OK. 

We see another couple dozen girls the following day. Now I’m nervous. I call the CEO.  

Me: Listen. There’s no one here. Can we look at girls in New York?

Client: Scott. We don’t have the budget to fly and house New York models. 

Me: I have an idea.  I have this friend of mineI want you to meet. 

Client: Which agency is she with?

Me: She doesn’t have an agency. She’s not a model. She’s not tall enough to be a model & she’s not thin enough to be a model, but I think she’s going to be a big star. 

Client: Actress?

Me: No. Singer.  

Client: That’s an interesting idea. Who is she signed to?

Me: She doesn’t have a record deal.  

Client: Are you a crazy person? Do you really want to put your balls on the chopping block on your first campaign? Are you willing to risk everything on someone who isn’t a model & has never modeled for anything?

Me: Yes. Definitely. 

Client: What’s her name?

Me: Katy Perry. Will you meet with her? 

Client: (Nervous). Sure. Bring her in. If it doesn’t work, I’m picking someone we’ve seen from the tape. 

Later that night on phone:

Me: Perry.

Katy: Hey Nathan. 

Me: I’m picking you up at 11AM.  

Katy: For what? I’m writing with this guy tomorrow. 

Me: Reschedule it. Look fun & festive. Trust me on this one. It'll be fun & there's money involved. 

Katy: OK. I trust you & god knows I need money. See you then. 

As expected, Katy managed to charm the pants off everyone in the room. We listened to a demo CD and took a spin through her MySpace profile and the 2 of us managed to sell it in the room. 

Didn’t turn out half bad.  The pink ballerina dress was something Katy had already owned. I had art department make up some wallpaper to match the color & pattern and rented the famous Brigitte Bardot bed from a prop house.  

Shoot highlight - The CEO was a flamboyant gay guy with bleached blonde hair & very orangey foundation. Trying his best to help, he said…

CEO: OK! So, Katy. Just relax & be yourself. I want you to do whatever you’d be doing at home in bed right now.  

Katy: OH! OK! (Arches her hips high in the air & shoves her hand into her panties).  CEO runs away shrieking. Katy looks over & gives me a wink.

After another year of struggle, things ultimately worked out for Katy. The campaign was a hit & I went on to shoot 4 years & 16 seasons for Too Faced. That led to shooting for The Sephora Book of Beauty, Urban Decay Cosmetics (which got me fired from Too Faced) and ultimately to beauty becoming my specialty. 



AND SCENE...
Katy Perry "One Night Stand" ©ScottNathan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment